Monday 6 April 2009

Getting here

Right now I'm sitting in my room at the Alderlodge Guest House in Lerwick, Shetland. My things are unpacked and the tea is perfect, not too milky.

Earlier today, I traveled from Aarhus to Copenhagen by train - I sat in the 'quiet zone', which I enjoyed very much. It gave me the opportunity to finish my Shibui KAL socks... yay! (More on that later). From Copenhagen I flew to Aberdeen (with a bunch of very drunk Russians around me - this one guy was so wasted that in the case of an emergency, well, sorry dude, but you're on your own. Why do they let people on board that are unable to take care of themselves??).
Aberdeen Airport. What can I say.... A very small airport that smelled of meat pies! But I did see a man in a genuine fair isle pullover! :) Unfortunately I didn't think of taking a picture until much later

Aberdeen Airport - probably not at its busiest hour.


After a somewhat long wait, I left Aberdeen (and the meat pie smell) and flew to Sumburgh Airport. On my way to Aberdeen the plane had two rows of seats on each side of the aisle. On my way to Sumburgh it had two rows on one side and one on the other - the gate was merely a corridor with a bench. Everything seemed to be getting smaller :)


It looks a bit foggy but actually it's just a greasy window.

When I arrived in Sumburgh the car rental people waited for me. And this very nice middleaged lady drove me up to their office (it was some sort of red trailer in the middle of nowhere). I filled in the necessary papers, paid, and took off. I must admit that I was a wee bit nervous because this was my first time driving on the left side of the road. Moe did all the driving in England, but somehow I think it helped a bit that was used to that though I didn't do the actual driving back then. Anyway, I did fine. No weird manouvres and no one got hurt :) And because I had brought Brirgitte (aka our GPS) the Alderlodge Guest House wasn't too hard to find.

Tomorrow I'll go visit Connie (who I know only from Ravelry) at the local yarn store. It will be so good - I just know it :)

No comments: