Sunday 12 April 2009

A proper goodbye

What better way to say goodbye is there than doing so with a small token of appreciation. And God knows I appreciate the past week in the Shetland Islands. So of course I deserved a present! ;) A yarny one.
Thus I went back to Jamieson & Smith in Lerwick. By now I know Lerwick quite well and I'm able to take shortcuts here and there. This time around it took only about 10-15 minutes to walk to the shop. I probably would have gone to Jamieson's too if it had not been for the fact that their mill and shop are a 45 minute drive (and many many sheep) away.
The staff at J&S seemed pleased to see me and we chatted for a while before I desided on a colour of the 2 ply jumper yarn I had come for. I love most of the colours, so making that kind of desition always takes a while. Give me a menu card and I'll order a burger, but give me more than three colours of yarn and I'm in at the deep end.

I ended up going for a dark brown, and once again I have to point out that this is soft Shetland wool, not itchy I-don't-want-it-near-my-skin-if-my-life-depended-on-it type of wool.


This is what I'll use for the Firs & Flakes Shawl :)


As you can see in the photo above I bought 8 balls of 2 ply jumper yarn. Unfortunately, something happened. I don't know how this could happen, but it did. Seven of the balls are fine and exactly what I thought they would be, shade 80, lot 03295. But when I got home and emptied the content of my carrier bag on the bed it jumped up and bid me in the nose! One of the balls where off somehow. I checked the dyelot number - all wrong! I thought the difference was so big that it made me check the colour too. Not good. Oh well, there was nothing I could do about it, but since I expect to need that last and 8th ball I'll write J&S an email and ask them to mail it to me. I don't think it will be that much of a problem.


I'm not sure it's that obvious but the ball in the very front is sort of green! Not something I would want in the middle of my shawl. Give me another 9-10 balls of that shade and I won't complain as much ;)

No comments: